Tracfone data vanishes randomly?

Ad Above Message List

RedPenguin

HoFo Member
I had a Samsung A11 on Tracfone $20/mo 2GB that had 23.46GB rolled over and I bought 2 extra months of service of the same plan to get a credit card deal. The phone number was transferred from Net10.

All out of the blue, today it says 0MB of data even though I verified everything.

Chat & Phone Support were of no help and tried claiming I used all my data.

I normally don’t even use my data and have data turned off. I mainly use home Wi-Fi.

What do I do? I feel so ripped off as that was months of rollover data.

I should have 25.46GB right now.

I have ran checks in Settings and Data Usage Apps and they clearly state the phone did not use almost 26GB of mobile data. They claim like 3mb of usage.

I noticed they may have merged by Net10 & Tracfone Accounts somehow as my Net10 account I changed my first and last name to _OLD and strangely today, Tracfone showed my name that way.

Last edited:
Something very very weird is going on here.

My 3/29/24 payment shows both at Tracfone.com and Net10.com with the exact same order ID number. No other payments show on Net10 from Tracfone.

I have no clue how that's even possible as my Credit Card has only a single charge.

Last edited:
Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
So far, a single agent has replaced 9.77GB of data, but this is a very slow process as the agent claims they can only add 10GB back each.

Even if I get the 25.46GB back, I have no clue how to get them to fix the Net10 & Tracfone mix up, so this never happens again.

Unfortunately this happened a bunch of people, in that case it was temporary and resolved itself after a while for those who were patient: https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1929694-All-TF-Balances-are-0-after-Rewards-Visit

Others such as me have also had entire balances seemingly randomly disappear and have also had to fight to get it reinstated. When it happened to me it was no mix up between TF/Net 10 -- just my sole, new TracFone account randomly went to zero and I had no service and took several calls to get a rep to reinstate it -- then another rep to re-re-instate it when the first time it disappeared again, and on the re-re-instate I'm still missing some talk and my text balance is incorrect (says 0, but I can text, so I don't know what the actual balance is).

The only fix for the issue is to not use TracFone, unfortunately! Good luck.

happened to my wife, data disapeared, talk/txt were still there.. Did not feel like dealing with TF cust service and she was close to expiration date, so I just moved her over to us mobile, only $10 a month for more then she needs..

So far, it’s a new day with 9.77GB added.

The agent who added the 9.77GB said to call back to get a second agent to add 10GB again and a third to add 6GB but 4 agents just didn’t do as he said they should.

Even if they add the 25.46GB data back, what if this all happens again with my next refill? It seems that my old Net10 account has somehow merged with my current Tracfone account.

To fix this months ago, I named my Net10 account FirstName_OLD & LastName_OLD and randomly that’s exactly what my Tracfone name turned to…..so obviously Verizon merged my accounts or something.

With TracFone it's not about if things will go wrong it's when. So hopefully it's not a monthly cycle like you fear, and it really really sucks to leave so much prepaid service on the table if you port out, but us TracFone refugees will tell you life is so much better on the outside.

I am guessing you are right about the core problem there but it is very hit and mostly miss to find anyone who can fix it especially for good. For example I have a very well known problem with iPhone SE3 but after four calls I never got it resolved and in fact only worse despite explicitly telling the rep what to do (correct their backend system to accept the imei). So I just walked away. Others it is now fine and yet others have nagging issues after TracFone 'correction'.

So no crystal ball here and there's no easy answer with TracFone and deciding when to give up...

I have confirmed the issue. No real clue how to get it fixed though.

If I login to my old and inactive Net10.com account and add "Net10" to the first and last name, immediately the same change will show on my active Tracfone.com account.

How is this even possible? I was always told, Net10 & Tracfone are run as two separate divisions and would have no reason to have linked accounts.

I would delete the phone line from the jumbled account, then create a new account with a different email address to start fresh. If you have any rewards points redeem them before deleting the line from the current account.

I would delete the phone line from the jumbled account, then create a new account with a different email address to start fresh. If you have any rewards points redeem them before deleting the line from the current account.

That's what I did, because even though I had 3100 points, it never ever would allow a redemption.

It would always say call CS or most often "Credit Card has been Declined.". Multiple attempts to CS, never ever could fix it.

For some reason, it doesn't allow you to ever add a phone back after deleting. It just will say call CS.

I'm just hoping CS can at least give me back the data if not the points also.

For some reason, it doesn't allow you to ever add a phone back after deleting. It just will say call CS.

Yes, this has been happening for some time now. It used to be easy to move between accounts, but it's not possible now. Back when Tracfone first stopped it, I had moved my husband's line from his high points balance account, to my account to redeem points (because they also stopped "redeem for a friend"), and was not able to move him back. Customer service would not do it for me either and kept saying you can't have an account without a line. Another forum member found a loophole on the Android app, but Tracfone has since ended that as well.

At least with a new account created with an existing line, you will get 1000 points redeemable in 10 days, then another 500 in three months.

Yes, this has been happening for some time now. It used to be easy to move between accounts, but it's not possible now. Back when Tracfone first stopped it, I had moved my husband's line from his high points balance account, to my account to redeem points (because they also stopped "redeem for a friend"), and was not able to move him back. Customer service would not do it for me either and kept saying you can't have an account without a line. Another forum member found a loophole on the Android app, but Tracfone has since ended that as well.

At least with a new account created with an existing line, you will get 1000 points redeemable in 10 days, then another 500 in three months.

I noticed something immediately after changing accounts.

The transaction copy at Net10.com has completely vanished.

For some reason, the 3/29/24 transaction followed the phone to the new account while every other transaction stayed with the old Tracfone account.

A slight update. Tracfone called from the BBB complaint and told me to email my screenshot showing the 23.46GB.

I asked for the hell of it, about the 3,100 Rewards Points but just like all the other agents, he only sees 335 Net10 points.

He said to attach a screenshot of the points also but can’t guarantee it like the data.

I can live with at least the data back & 1,000 points if need be, being that I actually paid for the data.

A slight update. Tracfone called from the BBB complaint and told me to email my screenshot showing the 23.46GB.

I asked for the hell of it, about the 3,100 Rewards Points but just like all the other agents, he only sees 335 Net10 points.

He said to attach a screenshot of the points also but can’t guarantee it like the data.

I can live with at least the data back & 1,000 points if need be, being that I actually paid for the data.

That's great that he's potentially accepting your screenshots as proof. Hopefully you get it all back.

Definitely can pay to take screenshots of the account balance etc .

Definitely, I didn’t think they would take screenshots based on what was said online about similar issues.

The Data so far is 21.42GB, so it’s definitely increasing. I think they must be doing it at 10GB each as that’s what other agents and sources told me they do at a time.

Definitely, I didn’t think they would take screenshots based on what was said online about similar issues.

The Data so far is 21.42GB, so it’s definitely increasing. I think they must be doing it at 10GB each as that’s what other agents and sources told me they do at a time.

Yeah. I've always taken screenshots but I've never actually physically submitting them in to get a situation fixed as far as i recall. In the past I would just tell the TF corp rep I have them if they want them but they would just tell me to read the info on them and I guess trusted me on it and that was good enough. I figure its good to really have them if you have to go hard core.

Yeah that's what I was told in the past too. I think they can usually give like 9.77 GB a day per line. At least with the corp reps.

The other day when everybodys' buckets temporarily disappeared i called in thinking there was something possibly more nefarious going on and they gave me 10k M/T and 9.77 gb in my empty buckets based off my recited screenshots with more calls to be made later (they gave me a reference number) to complete the balances of all the buckets and then all the buckets came back for everyone and I had an extra 10k in each bucket which they allowed me to keep.

Added: but besides that, I've had to call in I think 3 times to get my buckets restored after they were completely wiped after different events. And I would always read my screenshots to them and they would fix it.

Yeah. I've always taken screenshots but I've never actually physically submitting them in to get a situation fixed as far as i recall. In the past I would just tell the TF corp rep I have them if they want them but they would just tell me to read the info on them and I guess trusted me on it and that was good enough. I figure its good to really have them if you have to go hard core.

Yeah that's what I was told in the past too. I think they can usually give like 9.77 GB a day per line. At least with the corp reps.

The other day when everybodys' buckets temporarily disappeared i called in thinking there was something possibly more nefarious going on and they gave me 10k M/T and 9.77 gb in my empty buckets based off my recited screenshots with more calls to be made later (they gave me a reference number) to complete the balances of all the buckets and then all the buckets came back for everyone and I had an extra 10k in each bucket which they allowed me to keep.

Added: but besides that, I've had to call in I think 3 times to get my buckets restored after they were completely wiped after different events. And I would always read my screenshots to them and they would fix it.

I don’t know what happened in my case.

In the Paygo/Rollover, I’m the process of moving the phone to another account, randomly has 10,000 minutes and 9999 SMS.

I’m just not used to seeing minutes/sms numbers as I’ve always had those two listed as UNL.

I don’t know what happened in my case.

In the Paygo/Rollover, I’m the process of moving the phone to another account, randomly has 10,000 minutes and 9999 SMS.

I’m just not used to seeing minutes/sms numbers as I’ve always had those two listed as UNL.

I have had nothing but trouble interacting in any way with the unlimited plans. I use paygo/regular smartphone plans since I'm a light user and it certainly builds up over time... I have one line with 25k m, 35k t, 32 gb till about 2029 for example, and almost everytime I've had to use an unlimited plan, usually because I bought a TF phone that came with an unlimited plan on the sim, I've had concern for trouble. One time my paygo and unlimited buckets combined (i think UNL = 100k units) and then were lost and the reps weren't sure what i had so that was once when I had to get my paygo buckets restored. And I had to wait a month to do it to confirm the buckets were trashed.

I've also read of people who lost all paygo data while using an unlimited plan. I try to avoid them. But I've also had troubles with paygo buckets... one time I transferred to a phone that was having issues activating and finally was successful but my buckets were gone. One rep said they were stuck in a tree or switching box and would soon appear but they didn't so I had to get it all restored via the whole recite screenshots, consult billing department deal with the TF corp office.

I'm not really hugely familiar with the unlimited plans nowadays but just have not had the best experience with them in the context that i used them.

Back