Tracfone eSim - Switching Today

tekfranz

Tracfone support is gearing up for eSims from what I can tell. They have a special Electronic Sim Team on the Corporate Support level.

I will be switching to eSim today. I needed to start with a Physical Sim to validate my account by text message after porting from USMobile.

Still learning the Tracfone ropes but I will post back if I am successful.

FYI: Plan on every other call with support getting disconnected. Also, many hours on the phone. Just part of the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The web site says for now they're supporting eSIM only in iPhones 12 and later. I look forward to when they have eSIM support for Android phones.

The web site says for now they're supporting eSIM only in iPhones 12 and later. I look forward to when they have eSIM support for Android phones.

Good to know. Yes I hope support for Android comes as well and more self-service eSim options.

Yes I hope support for Android comes as well and more self-service eSim options.

When I activate a phone in mid-August, the eSIM option was shown, so looks like you can DIY when activating a new line. But if you're converting from a physical SIM to an eSIM, sounds a rep is needed.

View attachment 172299

I'm also waiting for support for Android devices.
I want to get away from physical SIMs.

I'm also waiting for support for Android devices. I want to get away from physical SIMs.

My S22 and Pixel 4a have eSIM. It'd be nice to use TF/Verizon and either the Walmart FP SIM (T-mo) or FreeUP AT&T SIM on one phone.

Currently on TMobile esim (network test drive) and a TracFone physical sim on either Verizon or ATT. Would love to have one or the other on esim so I can pick the best network every time!

Spoke to a TF tech support agent this morning. At this time they are only supporting iPhones. There is no timeline on when Android devices be supported.

Also only iPhone 12 or higher. Which is very typical for a lot of MVNOs, but annoying since iPhones have supported it since SE 2020, so X and 11 series too.

If you have TF AT&T or T-Mobile service on an e-SIM wouldn`t Verizon be able to sneakily switch the e-SIM to Verizon service without your involvement whenever they wanted?

If you have TF AT&T or T-Mobile service on an e-SIM wouldn`t Verizon be able to sneakily switch the e-SIM to Verizon service without your involvement whenever they wanted?

My understanding is that you have to use a supplied link or a QR code to access a site using WiFi or data and download the SIM information to your phone (to be stored in the eSIM). I don't know whether or not a carrier can sneakily push that information to your phone.

No, you would lose service until you setup the eSIM again. The eSIM is specific to the line and carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

No success yet. Have tried a rep and the self service option.
I do see there is an eSim line sitting on my account now, but I have no way of activating it yet. I wonder if Tracfone has a QR code somewhere I can use like T-Mobile does.

Not to add fuel to the fire for TF reps but I guess you would have to purchase a service plan to activate, correct? Wonder if after you activate if you are on the Unlimited plan and have Paygo on standby if you can move the PayGo balance to the eSim. Seems just like more confusion for TF

Someone had success here I believe activating eSim on an iPhone via sim transfer giving it two lines
https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1926477-tracfone-eSIM

Let me try adding a service plan to the eSim that showed up . Maybe that’s the key.

Update:
Yes! that did it!
You have to Activate a new line and number and purchase a plan.
The process currently fails on moving an existing number, that’s why you need the new number and plan.
Once you have the new line, then Tracfone Customer care can transfer your old physical Sim line and plan to the eSim line you want to keep.

Here is the message you get when it is successful. You then get a push notification.
fc795ee6e077da41b324ce5077b1bdec.png

Last edited:
Congratulations! Was it an iPhone 14? I tried to move my Tracfone service (physical SIM) to an iPhone 14 Pro (eSIM). It kept failing. After a long time with support someone 3 levels up told me that they don't support iPhone 14. According to Apple they do (see: Apple support HT209096).
I tried activating the iPhone 14 Pro with a new number and it still failed. I'm in the USA so only have eSIM iPhone 14.

Congratulations! Was it an iPhone 14? I tried to move my Tracfone service (physical SIM) to an iPhone 14 Pro (eSIM). It kept failing. After a long time with support someone 3 levels up told me that they don't support iPhone 14. According to Apple they do (see: Apple support HT209096).
I tried activating the iPhone 14 Pro with a new number and it still failed. I'm in the USA so only have eSIM iPhone 14.

Yes it was an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Did you also purchase a plan during the activation of the new number? I think even a $9.99 plan would do the trick.

I don't know if related but I have a BYOP iPhone SE 2022 and at first I couldn't transfer activate it at all on TF/Verizon. I was trying to activate the physical sim but if I recall correctly the corp rep could not do anything with the esim when the rep was trying different things either (I didn't want esim activated).

The system could not see any BYOP TF/Verizon Sim number in the context of the new device IMEI.
I think this happens with some new BYOP 5g phones. Later it was called a "system error".

At first they had me try different sims but it didn't matter. The IMEI could not pair with them. The rep would say the sim number is no good. Because the IMEI was fine. But no, its the new device IMEI that is the issue.

It took me a week or two of regular calling the tracfone corp office to get the sim number manually "approved" and paired for the device IMEI by offline network support. Once this was finally done, I could activate the SE 22 properly with physical sim via the corporate office.

I got a second BYOP SE '22 and I had to do the same exact thing to get it activated on TF/Verizon.

Like I said, it may not be your issue with the eSim I just mention this anyway especially since it is such a new phone.

Back