Tracfone eSim - Switching Today

Anyone know what is special about eSIMS in iPhone 12 & later that makes it the cutoff for eSIM activation?

Yes it was an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Did you also purchase a plan during the activation of the new number? I think even a $9.99 plan would do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remembered one other step I took. I went into my tracfone.com account and found the line that said it was an eSIM because the IMEI number started with an “e”. I clicked activate underneath that, and then added a plan.

Somehow, when it fails, it still adds to IMEI to your account.
It look like this under manage lines but your IMEI2 has a small “e” in front. That’s the line you want to activate and add a plan to.
f21f556294f80045b1f3d3ec0f8a6767.png

Also, make sure you’re using IMEI2 for your serial number.

Last edited:
Anyone know what is special about eSIMS in iPhone 12 & later that makes it the cutoff for eSIM activation?

Might be the 5G support since the 12 models were the beginning of this.

iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs.

Someone over at reddit was having issues getting an iPhone 14 activated on Straight Talk.

From what it sounds like, they found out that if you use any other ways besides the web browser, you will have issue.

Even lots of CSR said that the iPhone 14 is not compatible.

Thanks for you help. No luck yet.

In my Tracfone Manage Lines I see the 2 Lines with:
NEW - e8901<IMEI>
NEW - e8901<IMEI2>

Created from my previous times I tried to transfer the number.

In Manage Lines I picked "NEW - e8901<IMEI2>" and did Activate your Device from that screen.
I picked new number, eSIM and used IMEI2 when i asked for IMEI.
I picked the $15 plan and went to check out. I picked credit card because it hung for me with PayPal (maybe just me).
I could pay and checked out and got the Activation Request Submitted! screen.
I got a push notification on the iPhone 14 to add a cellular service and it took a few mins. and activated.
On iPhone 14 under Settings->General->About ESIM I see I have a ICCID number under the 1st IMEI (IMEI2 says available)? and Carrier TFW 51.0.1.

As of an hour ago still no service. Instead of bars just shows SOS. Powered on an off a lot. Going to give it 24 hours.

Thanks for you help. No luck yet.

In my Tracfone Manage Lines I see the 2 Lines with:
NEW - e8901<IMEI>
NEW - e8901<IMEI2>

Created from my previous times I tried to transfer the number.

In Manage Lines I picked "NEW - e8901<IMEI2>" and did Activate your Device from that screen.
I picked new number, eSIM and used IMEI2 when i asked for IMEI.
I picked the $15 plan and went to check out. I picked credit card because it hung for me with PayPal (maybe just me).
I could pay and checked out and got the Activation Request Submitted! screen.
I got a push notification on the iPhone 14 to add a cellular service and it took a few mins. and activated.
On iPhone 14 under Settings->General->About ESIM I see I have a ICCID number under the 1st IMEI (IMEI2 says available)? and Carrier TFW 51.0.1.

As of an hour ago still no service. Instead of bars just shows SOS. Powered on an off a lot. Going to give it 24 hours.

Yep exactly how it worked for me except I got service after my first restart.

I hope Tracfone starts allowing esim on Safelink that’s what I have. Safelink was sold to Verizon did that include Tracfone?

I hope Tracfone starts allowing esim on Safelink that’s what I have. Safelink was sold to Verizon did that include Tracfone?

Verizon bought Tracfone and all its subsidiaries: Total Wireless, Net10, Straight Talk, Safelink, etc.

I'm also having massive issues trying to transfer a TF (paygo) number from an iPhone 13 PM to a new iPhone 14 PM. I've tried online about 25 times and each time it fails, with a message to call customer service. I call customer service. Front line tech support admits they know nothing about eSIM and transfer me to a supervisor. The supervisor says they can't do it on their end and for me to do it online. Tried chat. They couldn't do it and said someone higher up would call me. Yeah, and pigs gonna fly.

Catch-22. Online says call customer service. Customer service says to use online.

I see mentions here about adding a plan. I'm on paygo and don't want to add a plan.

I'm about out of patience and starting to look at other carriers. I already have a TMo eSIM secondary number on my 13 PM. That's from a free trial. So, TMo obviously knows how to deal with eSIM and iPhones. TMo Connect is more than I'm spending on TF but it may be worth it for my sanity. I've had TF for about 10 years but if they can't handle iPhones then this marriage may be on the rocks.

I'm also having massive issues trying to transfer a TF (paygo) number from an iPhone 13 PM to a new iPhone 14 PM.

I see mentions here about adding a plan. I'm on paygo and don't want to add a plan.

Looks to me like for now you can only get eSIM service when you ACTIVATE a new line, not when transferring service from a current line that uses a physical SIM. When I activated new phones nowadays, this page is shown.

Tracfone-eSIM-support-2022-08-14.jpg

I'm also having massive issues trying to transfer a TF (paygo) number from an iPhone 13 PM to a new iPhone 14 PM. I've tried online about 25 times and each time it fails, with a message to call customer service. I call customer service. Front line tech support admits they know nothing about eSIM and transfer me to a supervisor. The supervisor says they can't do it on their end and for me to do it online. Tried chat. They couldn't do it and said someone higher up would call me. Yeah, and pigs gonna fly.

Catch-22. Online says call customer service. Customer service says to use online.

I'm about out of patience and starting to look at other carriers. I already have a TMo eSIM secondary number on my 13 PM. That's from a free trial. So, TMo obviously knows how to deal with eSIM and iPhones. TMo Connect is more than I'm spending on TF but it may be worth it for my sanity. I've had TF for about 10 years but if they can't handle iPhones then this marriage may be on the rocks.

TracFone is absolutely clueless on this. I can’t transfer existing service over to eSIM either, I get errors online. Haven’t even tried calling because I know no one will be able to help me. Admittedly, T-Mobile had growing pains with eSIM when they first rolled it out but come on now.. it’s been years. I’ve had TracFone since the late 90’s, though they’ve been relegated to “extra line” status since 2000 for me - and the level of expertise in TracFone’s customer service has stayed the same. It’s practically zero. Thankfully most things just work so I’ll keep them around for a couple lines but it’s rough sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

I've now spoken to 3 different "higher level" customer support reps. They're consistent in saying they don't support eSIM transfers yet (except for new plans) but they're "working on it." They can work on it without me. I'm dropping TF after about 10 years of being with them. I just got off the phone with TMobile and I'm switching to their Connect prepaid plan for $15 a month. TMobile did know how to deal with eSIMs and the porting process was painless.

I've now spoken to 3 different "higher level" customer support reps. They're consistent in saying they don't support eSIM transfers yet (except for new plans) but they're "working on it." They can work on it without me. I'm dropping TF after about 10 years of being with them. I just got off the phone with TMobile and I'm switching to their Connect prepaid plan for $15 a month. TMobile did know how to deal with eSIMs and the porting process was painless.

Good for you. Vote with your wallet. T-Mobile’s Rebellion prepaid platform was buggy as hell before but seems to be better now. I have a few legacy PAYG lines that I keep active on T-Mobile and no issues. Depending on your needs, also consider Tello. They resell T-Mobile service and have eSIM capability. They’ve been around for years and I’ve had them off and on for a spare line or two. Their online account management is flawless. They have a $10 referral offer but around the holidays or maybe Black Friday, they up that to $20. Might be a good time to try them then.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

[mention]protocol41 [/mention] Well trying an eSim activation again on a different Phone and the System is down for Customer Service. They are getting tons of errors.
I managed to get the eSim installed as a new line but no voice or data.

Yay! Success with eSim on the second eSIM. Thanks to the knowledgeable Corporate rep that helped me!

Two more things to know:
-Tracfone seems to communicate best with phones on IOS 16.02 or newer. So make sure your IOS is updated to 16. Mine was still on 15.
-If you remove your Cellular Plan, the reps in Corporate have a switch to resend the eSim to you. ( It may have taken the upgrade to IOS 16 for that switch to show up for them). Most reps do not know about this switch, but hopefully they will all know soon. eSIM is definitely improving at Tracfone slowly but surely.

I just signed up for new service with an eSIM on an iPhone14 and it worked pretty smoothly. The trick is to start with the Activate button. It will ask if you are wanting a new number or porting a number. It asks for SIM or eSIM. After selecting eSIM, it asks for the IMEI. Then you pick a plan and finish paying.

My iPhone was connected to Wifi. Soon after I finished paying on the website, the push message arrived on my iPhone and I selected that to finish the activation process.

Back