Unlocked vs Tracfone?

tlippy

Carrier(s)
TracFone-since 2005
Device(s)
Moto G Stylus (2021) Pixel 3 XL
Ever since T.F. started allowing unlocked Smart phones, I've been buying pretty expensive phones. Currently using a Google Pixel 3XL. Just wondering if T.F. branded phones will give me a similar experience. I guess what I'm asking is "am I paying a lot of money and not getting anything better than what a T.F. offers"? Is there any advantage, now that Verizon's the primary provider, in bringing a BYOP phone to the gsme?

...what I'm asking is "am I paying a lot of money and not getting anything better than what a T.F. offers"? Is there any advantage, now that Verizon's the primary provider, in bringing a BYOP phone to the gsme?
I say yes if any other carrier will be used. I think TF cripples at the hardware level their phones.

The number of phones sold by TF are generally limited in features, prices, make/models. They will work only with TF until unlocked by TF. In my experience with several TF-unlocked phones (Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G Power 2020, Moto E 2020, Samsung A51's), TF does not cripple their phones. I've used them with other providers and they work just fine. The only sticky point is AT&T whitelists which tend to not allow TF models (ending with DL) and allow mainly factory-unlocked models.

If a TF-sold phone meets your needs (especially iPhones), its price is usually cheaper than the factory-unlocked version.

Could've sworn they did.

I have not noticed any crippling of the TF Motos I have bought in the past ~3 years.

Years ago you couldn't get them unlocked even after a year. I think there were some crippled ones back then too.

Current unlocked models may not be accepted by other carriers or service providers. I have an unlocked TF Moto E6. Visible would not accept it for service, but it works fine if I put an activated Visible SIM in it. This was back a few weeks ago when the E6 was still on the Visible compatible list. [strike]IIRC, Verizon postpaid will not accept Tracfone models.[/strike]

Last edited:
IIRC, Verizon postpaid will not accept Tracfone models.

I just checked the IMEIs of my TF-unlocked phones using Verizon BYOP IMEI Checker .
* Moto E 2020: compatible
* Moto G Power 2020: compatible
* Moto G Stylus 2021: compatible
* Samsung A50: compatible
* Samsung A51: compatible

On your site, if you click on "Smartphone" then "I don't know (the make/model)" then it'll bring up a screen to enter the IMEI.
Correct. I got invalid at your link, passed at mine.

Correct. I got invalid at your link, passed at mine.

Why does that matter?

Moto G Stylus 2020 Factory Unlocked.

I was just curious to know which make/model/carrier that passed on your link (checking make/model) but got invalid on my link (checking IMEI).

Ever since T.F. started allowing unlocked Smart phones, I've been buying pretty expensive phones. Currently using a Google Pixel 3XL. Just wondering if T.F. branded phones will give me a similar experience. I guess what I'm asking is "am I paying a lot of money and not getting anything better than what a T.F. offers"? Is there any advantage, now that Verizon's the primary provider, in bringing a BYOP phone to the gsme?
I'd say it's worth the extra money not to be locked to Tracfone. Another advantage to a factory unlocked phone is that you get your updates directly from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-T870 using HoFo mobile app

If it's an iPhone (and that's your thing) it's worth it to get it from Tracfone for much less and then unlock it. A refurbished one can be a really good deal. Same resale value as phone from Apple.

Unlocked TF iPhones and unlocked from Apple iPhones are essentially the same. Nowdays, TF/V unlocks phones in 60 days so it's a short wait.

My understanding is that Apple doesn't allow any carrier bloat or modifications on their phones beyond the carrier lock and settings. Updates and upgrades always come from Apple. Google Android gives the carriers/phone brands a lot of control and ability to modify the OS.

Some of the recent Samsungs and I suppose Moto's seem to have full or a pretty wide band functionality once unlocked carrier/brand bloat aside so these may be good options as well.

Last edited:
Another advantage to a factory unlocked phone is that you get your updates directly from the manufacturer

TF-branded phones (at least the Motos and Samsungs) get updates directly from the manufacturers too.

TF-branded phones (at least the Motos and Samsungs) get updates directly from the manufacturers too.
Oh, ok. Last time I had a TF branded LG, it never got a single update in the year and a half I owned it, but that's been a few years.

Sent from my SM-T870 using HoFo mobile app

Oh, ok. Last time I had a TF branded LG, it never got a single update in the year and a half I owned it, but that's been a few years.

Yes, LG is pretty bad about updating their phones.

My AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix 2 that I used on Tracfone got several updates in the first couple of years after it was new.

Since LG got out of the cellphone business I wouldn't expect any more LG updates.

Back