Using a Blackberry without the Blackberry features - Possible?

greensubmariner

Carrier(s)
Tmobile
Device(s)
iPhone
Hey peeps. Thanks for reading this.

I was wondering if it was possible to use a blackberry without subscribing to a blackberry plan. I only need to use it as a phone and to send text messages - that's it. No emails. I just wanted a keyboard. I found a 7290 which is quad band. It seems to fulfill my needs. What do you guys think? Is this possible or do I need a data plan to even do send messages (not email) and make calls?

Thanks muchy.
AL.

You can use a BlackBerry w/out a Blackberry data pack but only for voice, sms and its pda functions.
If that works for you then you're set. If you want to surf the web, send/recieve email and/or p2p you'll need a BlackBerry data pack through your service provider.

Great! Thanks! Not looking for anything fancy. Just want the bloody keyboard and there's only a limited number of phones which have this feature.

AL.

Hey I saw this thread which brings up another question - does anyone know where the search button is on the forums. I was just wondering because I guess probably a lot of people ask this question. Never mind I'm too lazy to search for it so I'll just clutter the board up with another useless post.

greensubmariner said:
Hey peeps. Thanks for reading this.

I was wondering if it was possible to use a blackberry without subscribing to a blackberry plan. I only need to use it as a phone and to send text messages - that's it. No emails. I just wanted a keyboard. I found a 7290 which is quad band. It seems to fulfill my needs. What do you guys think? Is this possible or do I need a data plan to even do send messages (not email) and make calls?

Thanks muchy.
AL.

Yes it is very possible, just put your sim card in there and away you go. you will be able to do on the blackberry besides email, pinning, blackberry messager or anything that uses data thats all..

There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.

This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.

Jack T. Chance said:
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.

This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.

that's what i thought. doesn't blackberry automatically tack on a data plan once the phone is activated?

Jack T. Chance said:

I don't know where you got your info at, but it is wrong.. RIM dosen't care why you buy blackberries as long as you are buying one.

There is nothing stoping someone from buying a blackberry just to use the keyboard for SMS or whatever reason they want it for.. They don't have to get a BB data plan if they don't want to.. Although if you as me it is pretty crazy to have a blackberry without a data plan

on rogers... no blackberry plan = greater cost of device

of course without a data plan the blackberry is more.. On rogers the 8700 is only $100 bucks more, or $50 bucks more if you don't count the mail-in rebate..

3yr - $549.99 in store
$50 mail-in
$499 after rebate

no contact - $599

greensubmariner said:
How will they know if I'm using a BB? Why can't I use a regular dataplan to access the web?

With a blackberry you have to use a BB data plan. It is the only way to get data (emial, web, anything like that)

Jack T. Chance said:

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.....

I think this is only for IDEN networks. My gf has used a blackberry (7280 and 7290) for over a year and never had a data plan. She liked the BB because of the qwerty board for texting. GSM carriers or any carriers for that matter, will only try to convince you to add a data plan if you are just signing up. If you already have a voice plan, then you can just buy a BB on ebay and pop your SIM in and be ready to go. I know this is the case for Cingular and T-mobile.

You can also buy a BB device on eBay, put in your SIM card, and use it as phone only. That's what I do. No one is gonna hunt you down and make sign up for a BB plan :)

After having asked this same question myself 4 months ago and watching countless others ask the same question.

This needs to be a STICKY

greensubmariner said:
How will they know if I'm using a BB? Why can't I use a regular dataplan to access the web?

Blackberries use a BB VPN to access data features which basically goes thru RIM's servers that is why you have to have the BB plan to access all features off the device. Some including myself have been able to access web and use IM with a prepaid sim card.

pink

Can you elaborate?

Is this a glitch? -- is there a BB APN provisioned on your account?

It depends on which carrier

When I had the 7230 on T-Mobile, I didn't have to have a data plan/it wasn't automatically tacked on my account. Like someone else said, I used it mainly for voice calls, for the PIM features and the keyboard for sms. I didn't need the data plan as push email wasn't important. Now with Nextel, if you buy a 7250 (like Ihave) or a 7100i and place your sim card in it, you will be hit with a data plan after while. It's automatic, one of the reps confirmed it. However, I use a Boost sim in mine (have to get the sim activated in a Boost phone first in order to work) and while sms and push email is out, I can still use a 3rd party email program, the Nextel Online works and most other OTA things work.

Someone just gave me a blackberry 7100t. I using T-Mobile USA and on my Motorola v330, I have voice, a text package and unlimited t-zones.

I placed my sim into the 7100t and I have voice (reception is ok so far but I just got this yesterday so performance is still tbd), sms (keyboard will take some getting used to but should be fine), screen size, brightness and readability is excellent, the pim features/sychronization w/ Outlook via a USB cable is excelletn.

Only problem is no internet/wap. I'm still looking for a way but it looks like everyone is saying is that I will need to sign up for a BB plan to get any form of internet on the 7100t. The cheapest BB plan is $29.99 and I'm not willing to pay that just to be able to get full internet.

I'll continue to look for a way to get internet/wap to work on it, if unsuccessful, I'll probably just give this to one of my kids who just use the phone for voice and sms.

Back