Using a Blackberry without the Blackberry features - Possible?

You won't be able to access any of the data features without the data plan. If you think $29.99 is alot, good thing you are not on Cingular where the same data plan is $45.99.
 
dasupaman23 said:
You won't be able to access any of the data features without the data plan. If you think $29.99 is alot, good thing you are not on Cingular where the same data plan is $45.99.

Yep... The $29.99 Unlimited Blackberry plan is the only reason I'm with T-Mobile.
 
Yea, if you use T-Mobile, there's no getting around a data plan for your blackberry if you want web/wap capability.
 
Oh, well. Pity, the screen is pretty good. Looks like my daughter is going to enjoy this. Thanks for the info!
 
It is possible that only Nextel adds the plan without your permission but it does happen as I had a friend who the 5mb BB plan appeared on his 2nd bill.
 
GregGebhardt said:
It is possible that only Nextel adds the plan without your permission but it does happen as I had a friend who the 5mb BB plan appeared on his 2nd bill.

Yea, I only know of Nextel doing that. Like I mentioned, T-Mobile doesn't and I don't know about Cingular or Verizon.
 
I had my BB service turned off last night and am still using my 7100i as a phone. They confirmed I could do that, and that was before they knew I was going to order a flip phone to replace it. I was told I could just use the 7100i for phone.
 
Ericboo said:
I had my BB service turned off last night and am still using my 7100i as a phone. They confirmed I could do that, and that was before they knew I was going to order a flip phone to replace it. I was told I could just use the 7100i for phone.

I guess every rep is different. :confused: I only spoke to one rep and was told about the automatic BB data plan. I have the SERO plan and wanted to switch sims from my bb7520 and i860-the plan includes unlimited mms and I can't take advantage of it on the BB. Oh well...
 
Jack T. Chance said:
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.

As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.

This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.

I am using one w/o a BB Data Plan. Bought the BB from Ebay
 
I use a BB 7520 with a Boost prepaid SIM with the $0.20/day unlimited wireless web option. and no BB plan. there is no SMS, no PUSH email, No PIN messaging.

Other than that, full data works
. I use,
Gmail for Blackberries, all email now forwarded to Gmail account
Opera Mini for web browsing
VeriChat for IM
jmIRC for IRC client
Google Local
HelloWorld (GPS Mapping)
 
I forgot to add, most newer 3rd party apps have settings to use direct TCP and bypass BES/MDS.
 
madmarvcr said:
I use a BB 7520 with a Boost prepaid SIM with the $0.20/day unlimited wireless web option. and no BB plan. there is no SMS, no PUSH email, No PIN messaging.

Other than that, full data works
. I use,
Gmail for Blackberries, all email now forwarded to Gmail account
Opera Mini for web browsing
VeriChat for IM
jmIRC for IRC client
Google Local
HelloWorld (GPS Mapping)

I have the same setup (use some of the software you've mentioned and others), but I don't add the Boost 20 cents/day interent. I rarely have problems accessing web/wap sites. I've been having trouble using Avantgo and wonder if my not having the Boost internet is the problem.
 
crashnburn said:
Elaborate?

for example

Ramble IM has a setting option where you pick either Use MDS TCP or Use Device TCP

BBWeather has a checkbox to disable MDS Proxy

I think Verchat when it is first installed searches for a network path

Shapeservices apps, search for a network path when the apps are installed


What I have found if you dont have a BB plan is to dump as many Service Books as possible. On the BB 7520 i have 5 Service Books

WAP transport
WAP Browser
Desktop [CICAL]
Desktop [CMIME]
Blackberry Browser

with so few Service Books, this essentially forces all the 3rd part apps to use native TCP.

Eventually I am going to try and hack a 7290 blackberry with a Prepaid GSM sim, if the prepaid packet data prices ever come down

T-Mobile prepaid SIM for sidekick data is like $1/day, thats $30/month
a T-mobile unlimited BB plan is $29.99 a month.
Cingular prepaid SIM packet data is like $0.01/kb ...just based on my recent data usage, that would be $4/day doing the same thing with a Cingular prepaid SIM
 
So, on Nextel, a BB without a data plan would work for phone AND Walkie-Talkie as well? I am assuming this would be yes. I have Verizon with a Treo 700w and after I get done shooting it, I am switching back to Nextel. :)
 
btw at least on our network, if you do not have a data plan, due to it searching for the rim servers, if you do not use your rim for a while u will without a doubt, miss all incoming calls going straight to voicemail. other symptoms have included delayed text messages

Dreaderus
 
setec said:
So, on Nextel, a BB without a data plan would work for phone AND Walkie-Talkie as well? I am assuming this would be yes. I have Verizon with a Treo 700w and after I get done shooting it, I am switching back to Nextel. :)

At least on my BB 7520 without a BB data plan, phone and walkie-talkie still work.
 
Any body know how to get Data connection refused off the top header of the BB when only using it for voice/pda purposes?
 
I use a BB 7100t on tmobile I got off ebay. Just use it as a phone and txt messenger. No data plan whatsoever! No RIM guys in black suits pounding down my door either!
 
lil_nikk said:
Any body know how to get Data connection refused off the top header of the BB when only using it for voice/pda purposes?


I don't think it's possible. One of my neighbors uses the 8700r w/out a data plan asked me the same question the other day as sometimes the data connection refused message will go away for a little bit on his BlackBerry but it always returns.
 
Back
Top