Using a Blackberry without the Blackberry features - Possible?

Yeah it can't be done. That is displayed because your SIM does not have a data plan set up on it and when ever the BB tries to connect to the Tmobile data network it is refused. If you ever did get a data plan that would go away and the gprs letters on the screen would become GPRS(All in caps) Just a minor annoyance really.

I myself use a 7100i at work for just DC and phone. I cant send sms, mms, browse the net or emails, but it works just fine otherwise. I like it cause of the bluetooth and accurate phone log. It keeps track of EVERY call (including DC's) which is good for me to show how often I need to speak to people every time I try to call them and I cant reach them.

(hocks a loogie into hands, rubs them together)...this thread is now stuck!

I ordered my 7100i online for a new Nextel account on 04/28/06. I got my phone on 05/01/06. I called to activate it. I had picked a data plan online when ordering. However, with the activation guy, I switched rate plans. Well, since he is just for activation, he never added my data plan. So, when I goto blackberry support, they realized that I had no data plan. They didn't know how this was possible because they are not supposed to let me do that. Now, I want a data plan, but if you guys don't with a blackberry (use it for phone, DC and PDA) then maybe this little fluke will work for you. Just wanted to share this.

Jack T. Chance said:
There's a lot of misinformation on this thread, so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.
As I understand it, NO carrier will let you use a BlackBerry without the associated BlackBerry data plan, because they've all signed agreements with RIM wherein they agreed to make sure that ALL customers using a BlackBerry were also signed up for a BB data plan.
This is something I heard back in 2005, however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things have changed since then, I just can't verify that they have.
not true, nextel is apparently the only one that doesnt allow that, GSM carriers by definition dont usually care what phone is being used by what SIM.
jmcmullen said:
I don't know where you got your info at, but it is wrong.. RIM dosen't care why you buy blackberries as long as you are buying one.
There is nothing stoping someone from buying a blakberry just to use the keyboard for SMS or whatever reason they want it for.. They don't have to get a BB data plan if they don't want to.. Although if you as me it is pretty crazy to have a blackberry without a data plan
correct, the sale of the handset to the carrier is where RIM makes their money, although SOME revenue can be traced to the actual data plan with the carrier, but not much
hopetindall said:
After having asked this same question myself 4 months ago and watching countless others ask the same question.
This needs to be a STICKY
it seems like common sense, im not sure why it needs to be a sticky.
except for CDMA carriers where your ESN (IMEI for GSM) is directly linked to your service account, what phone you're using (keep in mind, below it all a BB is jsut another type of phone) doesnt matter to the carriers.
madmarvcr said:
for example
Ramble IM has a setting option where you pick either Use MDS TCP or Use Device TCP
BBWeather has a checkbox to disable MDS Proxy
I think Verchat when it is first installed searches for a network path
Shapeservices apps, search for a network path when the apps are installed
What I have found if you dont have a BB plan is to dump as many Service Books as possible. On the BB 7520 i have 5 Service Books
WAP transport
WAP Browser
Desktop [CICAL]
Desktop [CMIME]
Blackberry Browser
with so few Service Books, this essentially forces all the 3rd part apps to use native TCP.
Eventually I am going to try and hack a 7290 blackberry with a Prepaid GSM sim, if the prepaid packet data prices ever come down
T-Mobile prepaid SIM for sidekick data is like $1/day, thats $30/month
a T-mobile unlimited BB plan is $29.99 a month.
Cingular prepaid SIM packet data is like $0.01/kb ...just based on my recent data usage, that would be $4/day doing the same thing with a Cingular prepaid SIM
if you somehow got a GSM bb to get data without a blackberry plan thats pretty rare. Also, a t-mobile sidekick SIM (of any kind, post or prepaid) will NOT work in a BB. This is because like a BB, a Sidekick plan uses a dedicated APN

I use an ex-tmobile 7230 and 7290 in Singapore with a pre-paid Singtel card (phone, sms, pda all work fine). I needed to have t-mobile unlock the phones in order to accept 3rd party SIM cards; otherwise they didn't work. So, yes, you can use the blackberry without a data plan, but you might need to have it unlocked first depending upon the network.

Last edited:
kengo said:
I use an ex-tmobile 7230 and 7290 in Singapore with a pre-paid Singtel card (phone, sms, pda all work fine). I needed to have t-mobile unlock the phones in order to accept 3rd party SIM cards; otherwise they didn't work. So, yes, you can use the blackberry without a data plan, but you might need to have it unlocked first depending upon the network.

BlackBerry will obviously work for voice and sms w/out data plan... it's when you want to send/recieve email, p2p, use web browser, etc... that'll you need a BlackBerry data pack from your service provider. I know some people who use GSM BlackBerries w/out data plans in Canada and the U.S. Having said that I have heard of some CDMA providers that won't let someone use a BlackBerry unless they have a data pack on their account.

Last edited:
I didn't see a direct answer so I'll ask away. Can I use AIM on a 8700G with no data plan? Can I change a setting on Ramble IM to make it so I can?

^

You need a data pack to use an instant messaging client as it works off of data.

You DO NOT need a blackberry data plan.
i bought a 7100t off ebay, stuck my prepaid sim card in, and im using it as a phone.

^

Yes it will work as a phone but not for data usage.

Just a quick question in regards to using a bb with out the bb data plan, I too want to get one a 7100i to use as phone dc and pda, would i be able to use a wap program such as tekin or others out there i already have a data plan on my 860 so i'm hoping my 860 sim works on the 7100i.

Andy_q said:
Just a quick question in regards to using a bb with out the bb data plan, I too want to get one a 7100i to use as phone dc and pda, would i be able to use a wap program such as tekin or others out there i already have a data plan on my 860 so i'm hoping my 860 sim works on the 7100i.

no blackberry will work with any provider without a BLACKBERRY data plan. its different than any other plan as it allows access to RIM's servers which is needed for ANY blackberry to access data.

hillstrubl said:
no blackberry will work with any provider without a BLACKBERRY data plan. its different than any other plan as it allows access to RIM's servers which is needed for ANY blackberry to access data.

If you're talking about using BB push email and such, then you do need a BB plan. However, if you're using a Nextel BB (at least the 7520, I don't know about the 7100i) you can have access to nearly all data (not push email or sms) with a Boost Mobile sim card. For email, you'd have to purchase an email client but text is out the window.

So basically, if you depend on push email, text and 100% data, then there's no going around getting a plan. Depending on carrier, you can use the BB as a phone/pda only (with T-Mobile). Nextel will automatically add the plan to your BB. Boost Mobile is mainly like Nextel prepaid, and using their sim (must renew every 3 months for at least $20) in a BB works, just a bit limited. Don't know how Cingular or Verizon's policies are.

i have a 7100i and i am not able to receive or send sms text messages...how will i be able to do that w/o the data plan?

Blackberry without a cellular phone provider?

Can you get a Blackberry or Treo without cellular phone service? I have a supervisor who wants a Blackberry or Treo to check email, surf the web, and text message but doesn't need to use it as a phone. If not, what would you recommend using? I've looked a little at the Tungsten and Axim, but heard that Axim was going to be discontinued. :help:

smclean23 said:
i have a 7100i and i am not able to receive or send sms text messages...how will i be able to do that w/o the data plan?

You can't without a data plan. Like I mentioned before, if sending sms and receiving push email is important, then (on Nextel anyway-with T-Mobile sms can be sent and received at the 5cents/msg) you need the data plan. If all you want is email, using a Nextel BB with a Boost sim and getting an email client isn't a problem.

mousehunt said:
Can you get a Blackberry or Treo without cellular phone service? I have a supervisor who wants a Blackberry or Treo to check email, surf the web, and text message but doesn't need to use it as a phone. If not, what would you recommend using? I've looked a little at the Tungsten and Axim, but heard that Axim was going to be discontinued. :help:

I believe Nextel has a plan that's just for data on their BB. It's something like $45/mo.

I have my BB 7100g with Cingular.I have no plan with BB ,i only use the phone for calls and sms.

toozerosickz said:
I didn't see a direct answer so I'll ask away. Can I use AIM on a 8700G with no data plan? Can I change a setting on Ramble IM to make it so I can?

On T-Mobile...it's actually a catch 22. You would need a data plan to download their IM client. But you wouldn't need a data plan to use it, just a text messaging plan. The client uses SMS to send messages. I recommend the unlimited plan.

Back