Verizon has extended the window to activate 3G devices on prepaid until 4/30/2019

Stupid. I can see it now, someone buys phone and 8 months latter it's brick and Verizon's answer is to buy a new phone and these people call out the media and news organization at how deceitful evil and greedy Verizon is. Honestly they should have stopped activating 3G only devices Dec 31 2017.

So there are Verizon VoLTE phones available for $6.99?

Makes you wonder if they are not ready to drop CDMA by the end of the year

You are probably right. I see users complaining about issues with VoLTE reliability. Also, geting IoT and MVNO customers to upgrade to VoLTE devices has got to be a struggle.

Stupid. I can see it now, someone buys phone and 8 months latter it's brick and Verizon's answer is to buy a new phone and these people call out the media and news organization at how deceitful evil and greedy Verizon is.

It's not just 3G devices, but also non-VoLTE capable LTE ones as well. A few months ago some of the Tracfone companies were selling off the old CDMA stuff that was going to be obsolete. Outrageous Verizon themselves would do this too.

It's not just 3G devices, but also non-VoLTE capable LTE ones as well. A few months ago some of the Tracfone companies were selling off the old CDMA stuff that was going to be obsolete. Outrageous Verizon themselves would do this too.

It's a Verizon master dealer that's selling off old CDMA phones, not Verizon itself. The phones are cheap and will work for almost a year, maybe longer if Verizon keeps 3G alive past Dec. 31, 2019.

Last edited:
Oh please. These phones are the definition of burner phones anyway - I can't possibly shed any tears for someone who made this huge $6.99 investment hoping for a phone they can pass down to their grandchildren.

The answer for that person is, 8 months later they can just buy another nearly-free phone and shut up.

You are probably right. I see users complaining about issues with VoLTE reliability. Also, geting IoT and MVNO customers to upgrade to VoLTE devices has got to be a struggle.

which will be resolved once that 1x and 3G spectrum is repurposed for LTE.

It's a Verizon master dealer that's selling off old CDMA phones, not Verizon itself. The phones are cheap and will work for almost a year, maybe longer if Verizon keeps 3G alive past Dec. 31, 2019.

They aren't and I guess I'll have to keep explaining this for another 359 days

Yes they are. Verizon itself cut off non VoLTE activations in July. Prepaid( including VoLTE ) make up less than 5% of Verizon customer base and most of that 5% has VoLTE devices

There are also about 15 million Verizon MVNO customers, many of whom likely do not have VoLTE capable devices.

Yes they are. Verizon itself cut off non VoLTE activations in July. Prepaid( including VoLTE ) make up less than 5% of Verizon customer base and most of that 5% has VoLTE devices

It has very little to do with devices. It has to do with geographic areas not yet ready to provide reliable VoLTE service. Most of them are rural and I have been to a number of them recently in three different states. Verizon still has a considerable amount of work to do to meet their self-imposed end of 2019 deadline. There are significant differences in propagation characteristics between CDMA and LTE to overcome in these areas so it is not merely a case of repurposing their band 5 holdings. The reasons people are concerned about losing coverage are real and significant.

There are also about 15 million Verizon MVNO customers, many of whom likely do not have VoLTE capable devices.

Link to this data. Any Verizon phone sold I the last 4-5 years is VoLTE capable. How many have 5 year old devices?

It has very little to do with devices. It has to do with geographic areas not yet ready to provide reliable VoLTE service. Most of them are rural and I have been to a number of them recently in three different states. Verizon still has a considerable amount of work to do to meet their self-imposed end of 2019 deadline. There are significant differences in propagation characteristics between CDMA and LTE to overcome in these areas so it is not merely a case of repurposing their band 5 holdings. The reasons people are concerned about losing coverage are real and significant.

They can switch carriers to one that works

Link to this data. Any Verizon phone sold I the last 4-5 years is VoLTE capable. How many have 5 year old devices?

I purchased a Verizon prepaid Moto G4 Play in December 2017 brand new. It is not volte capable and will not work after this year. (only paid $40 for it so I am not worried about it). But the fact is, major retailers were selling non volte phones as of a year ago.

I purchased a Verizon prepaid Moto G4 Play in December 2017 brand new. It is not volte capable and will not work after this year. (only paid $40 for it so I am not worried about it). But the fact is, major retailers were selling non volte phones as of a year ago.

Verizon Prepaid was still selling the Gusto 3 less than 2 years ago and the TracFone brands were selling 3G only Verizon network phones well into last year.

Back