Verizon Verizon is Improving

CellGeek

Most of my posts about Verizon are rants however I’m finally able to say something positive about Verizon! In am located in the San Gorgonio Pass that is located in Beaumont in Southern California. Several years ago, Verizon performance was terrible especially during times of high network congestion. During the past year, the situation has dramatically improved and I can usually get between 20 and 100 mbps even during congested periods and I have a super el-cheapo highly discounted post paid economy plan. Verizon must have added backhaul to their towers because the signal levels are the same as several years ago. The only thing that has changed is the performance.

I hope that the performance enhancements that I have seen in the mountains and deserts of Southern California are also occurring in other parts of the country.

Most of my posts about Verizon are rants however I’m finally able to say something positive about Verizon! In am located in the San Gorgonio Pass that is located in Beaumont in Southern California. Several years ago, Verizon performance was terrible especially during times of high network congestion. During the past year, the situation has dramatically improved and I can usually get between 20 and 100 mbps even during congested periods and I have a super el-cheapo highly discounted post paid economy plan. Verizon must have added backhaul to their towers because the signal levels are the same as several years ago. The only thing that has changed is the performance.

I hope that the performance enhancements that I have seen in the mountains and deserts of Southern California are also occurring in other parts of the country.

Yes, over the past year or so my Verizon data speed at home has gone from routinely being ~10Mbps to generally ~50Mbps. Somewhere in the middle it was ~30Mbps. They obviously did something on the cell that I connect to. That is on LTE with Visible on the rural fringe of suburbia in central Virginia. My 5G phone is on Tracfone so I don't waste data doing speed tests. It doesn't show 5G out here anyway.

10Mbps was fine for me, but more speed being available is good for everyone as data usage increases.

My Visible depri at rush hour, going to Costco etc still drops it from 100+ Mbps down to 1-2 or even lower

I personally get affected several times a week for hours at a time.

The truly unlimited GBs is great, we pull 600-800GB/mo sometimes 30+GB in just a few hours at night, with a VPN router at home

but the service is totally unsuitable as a mobile daily driver even for the kids.

I doubt it's a backhaul issue...

Yes, over the past year or so my Verizon data speed at home has gone from routinely being ~10Mbps to generally ~50Mbps. Somewhere in the middle it was ~30Mbps. They obviously did something on the cell that I connect to. That is on LTE with Visible on the rural fringe of suburbia in central Virginia. My 5G phone is on Tracfone so I don't waste data doing speed tests. It doesn't show 5G out here anyway.

10Mbps was fine for me, but more speed being available is good for everyone as data usage increases.

i would speculate as people have been upgrading handsets more of the traffic in you neighborhood has shifted onto the 5G network freeing up 4G LTE capacity. even if you are not seeing 5G people closer to the tower could be.

i would speculate as people have been upgrading handsets more of the traffic in you neighborhood has shifted onto the 5G network freeing up 4G LTE capacity. even if you are not seeing 5G people closer to the tower could be.

I am on 5g so that doesn’t apply in my case.

Absolutely no 5G available in my area and probably won’t be available here for a few more years. My area was one of the last areas to get 4G

My Verizon bill went up $5 , haven’t noticed any improvement in service

Never forget that the quality of service depends on where you use your phone. A market in one part of your state may have very different service than on in another part of the same state. Sadly, you can's predict some of those differences without trying the service or talking with friends and family in the same area you will be in.

Never forget that the quality of service depends on where you use your phone. A market in one part of your state may have very different service than on in another part of the same state. Sadly, you can's predict some of those differences without trying the service or talking with friends and family in the same area you will be in.

This is very true. I moved from south Orange County California to the Riverside California area and the service is much better here on all networks because all of South Orange County California is NIMBYville and there is nothing that NIMBYs hate more than cell sites.

It could be possible that Verizon is on their way to be number-one again. Let’s hope so. Go Verizon!!

It could be possible that Verizon is on their way to be number-one again. Let’s hope so. Go Verizon!!

I thought they were still the #1 carrier nationwide. I still use them for postpaid and I am very satisfied with my cell service.

If you mean total subscribers, counting the humans?

or active lines? including IoT, machine to machine, alarms, cars?

In the US only, or worldwide ? so Deutsche Telekom...

Screenshot_20240314-144108-685.jpg

Wow, how did AT&T get so many customers? I never realized that AT&T many customers.

Wow, how did AT&T get so many customers? I never realized that AT&T many customers.

They count their AT&T Mexico customers much like I've read Deutsche Telekom counts T-Mobile US customers among their subscribers. They also get a boost from all their connected devices, which they count as well. In reality, when viewing just postpaid and prepaid customers in the US, AT&T is last place.

My Verizon bill went up $5 , haven’t noticed any improvement in service

5 whole dollars? Go back and look what you would have been paying for similar speed, data allotment and coverage 5 years ago.

They count their AT&T Mexico customers much like I've read Deutsche Telekom counts T-Mobile US customers among their subscribers. They also get a boost from all their connected devices, which they count as well. In reality, when viewing just postpaid and prepaid customers in the US, AT&T is last place.

I believe GM/Onstar has been exclusively at&t for at least the last 9 years for all new builds? That's a lot of cars.

5 whole dollars? Go back and look what you would have been paying for similar speed, data allotment and coverage 5 years ago.
not relevant

If a service isn't dropping it's prices while others are, it is delivering relatively poorer and poorer value

Back