Verizon Network Extender for Business model SCS2U01 (Samsung), how to factory reset?

Ad Above Message List

Darth Continent

HoFo Member
Posting in case anyone familiar might know.

This model of 4G LTE extender lacks a physical reset button, so instead the manual specifies an old Java utility, resettool-1.3b1.jar, to restore it to factory defaults. Unfortunately, so far I have yet to find this utility anywhere, it seems Verizon and time have pretty well seen it fade into obscurity.

DGHupey.jpg

wphE3Iq.jpg

At this point I'm tempted to just crack the device open and explore the circuitry to see if I can find a way to short some crucial pins and do the equivalent of a paperclip style reset. Any leads to a proper way would be appreciated!! :)

Last edited:
Posting in case anyone familiar might know.

This model of 4G LTE extender lacks a physical reset button, so instead the manual specifies an old Java utility, resettool-1.3b1.jar, to restore it to factory defaults. Unfortunately, so far I have yet to find this utility anywhere, it seems Verizon and time have pretty well seen it fade into obscurity.

View attachment 174278

View attachment 174279

At this point I'm tempted to just crack the device open and explore the circuitry to see if I can find a way to short some crucial pins and do the equivalent of a paperclip style reset. Any leads to a proper way would be appreciated!! :)

see here - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/576786/Samsung-Scs-2u01.html?page=18
there was some software you installed on your computer that done the factory reset, but website is no longer working.

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
Thanks, yeah I'm still going to try to find that .JAR file online, maybe it's out there on some lonely server somewhere or part of some ISO image where various utilities from that "era" are packaged.

I did ask on Reddit in /r/AskEngineers about possibly cracking the device open to see if I could just short a couple pins on a NVRAM chip inside, but someone who replied recommended against that, suggesting I might not zap just user data but also data the device needs to function, period.

I think I will go ahead and at least disassemble the device, then post a link to a photo to one of the AI ChatGPT bots and have them identify the components and go from there. I may end up zap frying the thing but at this point I really have nothing to lose.

After taking the unit apart, sharing photos with Bing's ChatGPT to help identify EEPROM chips, and deciding nope, not gonna risk it, I managed to find the JAR file via Wayback Machine! I was able to search using the URL in the SCS2U01 user manual to the resettool-1.3b1.jar file and it returned working direct download links.

Now to try and see if following factory reset I can actually get this think to work as intended. :bash:

No joy, the SYS led is flashing red rapidly and that suggests given the infrastructure simply no longer exists, even though the device may be functional on its own I can't get it to hook into Verizon's network and do its signal boosting.

I have however asked on an Electronic Engineering area of StackExchange with question title below to see what that yields. Basically trying to at least enable whatever internal electronics for use as a passive booster across the spectrum of frequencies it supports:

For a Samsung SCS2U01 femtocell range extender, can I bypass its need to phone home to Verizon and make it a "dumb" cell signal booster, instead?

Worth a shot, I'm handy with a soldering iron and an angle grinder, as needed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Nevermind, StackExchange decided to weigh in on the procedural sub-absolute-perfection of my attempt at a question to no useful end. I'll just poke around and see what I can find, and failing that, recycle the unit.

Last edited:
Back