Verizon to consolidate Tracfone brands, Page Plus ceasing activation's

Vicpdx17

Carrier(s)
AT&T Postpaid, AT&T Postpaid
Device(s)
iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 11
Did not know until this reddit post has official confirmation. Page Plus, Net 10, and GoSmart are all on the chopping block.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/xv7gpg/looks_like_verizon_is_consolidating_tracfone/

Edit: It looks like Current customers may be able to keep their plan until 2024. Page Plus, Net 10, and GoSmart will no longer do new activation's starting November 1st, 2022.

Once the end of Verizon's contractual obligation to hold current customers on their current plans end, Customers will need to find a new provider to switch to.

Last edited:
Yeah those of us that follow the forum knew it yesterday. Whacker posted it. https://howardforums.com/showthread.php/1926824-Sleepy-PPC-users-better-read-this.

Where did the 2024 come from for existing customers? If you're referring to the TF/VZW acquisition agreement I believe that's for ATT or T-Mobile users on other various TF brands. I don't recall what cut off current Total Wireless users are getting after the change to Total by Verizon.

Posted in the Tracfone forum: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-gradually-culls-some-tracfone-prepaid-brands

“In compliance with the FCC order related to the Verizon acquisition, both existing and new customers can enroll in plans for the Net10, Page Plus and GoSmart brands until November 2024 (California customers will be able to take advantage of these plans until November 2026).”

Good Work! Some of us found and read the same information. Time to look for another carrier now.

Good Work! Some of us found and read the same information. Time to look for another carrier now.
I will most likely stick it out until they kick me off (in two years?).

Yeah I'll stick it out too. For my level of use there is no better on Vzw. And who knows what "gifts" they'll give to move you to another TF sub.
2 more years is to long a time to jump ship now.

I live in the metro area where PagePlus Cellular was founded, back when it was an independent company. They came up with a unique, economical pay as you go system that has remained to this day.

I got my first $10/120 days PPC plan in early 2001. I stayed on the PPC Standard Plan until 2015.

Most of my time on PPC was at $10/120-days Standard Plan, except for 2 years where I used the $80/1-year Standard Plan. I never did use a PPC monthly plan.

PagePlus Cellular was an early revolutionary company in the MVNO business.

Yeah I'll stick it out too. For my level of use there is no better on Vzw. And who knows what "gifts" they'll give to move you to another TF sub.
2 more years is to long a time to jump ship now.

I tried to say LOOK NOW but the change can start later; not now.

I really believe a couple of PPC plans are some of the very least expensive available currently.

I started with PPC in 2010 and have the same regard for it as Boz1. Their monthly plans are nothing special, but their PAYGO is still unique and fits the bill for me nicely.

I'll stick it out and see what offers or inducements come up and see how they compare with whatever else is around at that time. Both my phones are unlocked now, but I wouldn't mind moving to TracFone if I could get adequate value for my balance, whatever it might be at that time.

I will most likely stick it out until they kick me off (in two years?).

Hopefully, by then T-Mobile’s coverage will have improved to the point that I no longer feel the need to keep a backup.

Is my understanding correct that Verizon still plans to have Tracfone as a brand? That is in 2024 PP users should be able to just switch to Tracfone?

I think that's safe to say, for now (about the existence of TF).

As far as plans for PPC, nothing has been released to the public, other than ceasing to allow new activations after Nov. 2024. I'd say it's a good bet they'd want to move remaining subscribers to TF proper and close the brand, but if they have a sense that it's worth having a straight PAYGO offering, they might consider offering that type of plan on TF (with what we know as typical TF features) and grandfather people in. But we can't know at this point; it's all speculation.

Is my understanding correct that Verizon still plans to have Tracfone as a brand? That is in 2024 PP users should be able to just switch to Tracfone?

Oher than the rumor that dealers would not be able to activate or refill PP plans after about December 2022, I don't think we have heard much about what Verizon plans for the Tracfone brands. They clearly have shown some interest in managing the brands with small changes around the edges. For example, Total Wireless has been rebranded as Total by Verizon. They also recently named a VP of prepaid brands that includes Verizon Prepaid, Visible, and all of the Tracfone brands. I think we can expect them to try to optimize that mixed mess to Verizon's advantage (profit).

I doubt that Vz will kill off Tracfone itself lightly. TF has high name recognition, but it also has a level of perception as being for deadbeats and drug dealers. It's a mixed bag.

PP is one of the smallest TF brands, with little name recognition. I seriously doubt that Vz will keep the PP paygo plan around for a whole lot longer. Running a plan that only gets them $30 a year in sales. Assuming that they are making 5% profit on that, that is only $1.50 a year per line in profit. I personally like having that service and cost available to me, but I don't see how it makes business sense.

I took a look at the plan offerings at the time that the buyout was announced. All of the monthly plans among the various brands are pretty much the same. It may make business sense to consolidate some of them. There are some govt provisions of the deal that require continuing some things for three years. That may be when we start seeing bigger changes - two years from now.

Bottom line: Unless we want to plan out our cell service plans for two plus years from now it isn't worth worrying about.

I doubt that Vz will kill off Tracfone itself lightly.
I agree. Not only does Tracfone have millions of users who would get confused and bail if somehow their brand no longer existed, but think of the money they've invested in advertising. PagePlus on the other hand has a fraction of the customers and I have never seen an advertisement anywhere, online or elsewhere, for PagePlus. If they pull the plug the losses would be minimal, especially if they migrate those customers to Tracfone.

It can't be the end of refills yet

...the rumor that dealers would not be able to activate or refill PP plans after about December 2022...

Whoa...that's the first time I heard the speculation that even REFILLS won't be accepted for PPC starting this month. Did you mean December of a different year? If not, that would mean most users will have balances come to 0 - permanently - over the next four months. Even those who apply an $80 refill on the last possible day, will see that run out one year from now, and no way to refill.

...the rumor that dealers would not be able to activate or refill PP plans after about December 2022...

Whoa...that's the first time I heard the speculation that even REFILLS won't be accepted for PPC starting this month. Did you mean December of a different year? If not, that would mean most users will have balances come to 0 - permanently - over the next four months. Even those who apply an $80 refill on the last possible day, will see that run out one year from now, and no way to refill.

Note that that was anticipated for "DEALERS" (don't know if it ever happened),
Doing your business straight on the PP site is business as usual at least to 2024 right now.

mmm this ia bad... what happens to lines that have large balances? just lose the whole thing? can't transfer to something else?

mmm this ia bad... what happens to lines that have large balances? just lose the whole thing? can't transfer to something else?

Well last report is you have till 2024. Maybe they'll have some transfer deal to whatever TF company is still alive when the time comes. No one knows. I'd hang in there for now but if you have a super large cash balance you can always use it up changing to a monthly plan. The PagePlus demise was always in the wind for the past year since Verizon bought TF.

Well last report is you have till 2024. Maybe they'll have some transfer deal to whatever TF company is still alive when the time comes. No one knows. I'd hang in there for now but if you have a super large cash balance you can always use it up changing to a monthly plan. The PagePlus demise was always in the wind for the past year since Verizon bought TF.
yeah, well still not a happy situation...
Will there really be any TF left standing that might take up the balance? I've got about $350 tied up in PPC right now, no real way to spend it...

Are there any PayGo Verizon MVNOs left? If not, likely I'll move to H2O... (Tmobile won't work for me, unhappily).

Back