Verizon to consolidate Tracfone brands, Page Plus ceasing activation's

it would be nice if they didn't force the paygo people to keep renewing and adding more money if they know they're going to shut down the phones next year. Doesn't make it easy to burn down a balance when I have to keep adding to it in order to keep my service active.

I'm hopeful just like the 2G 3G shut down got extended shutting down Page Plus will as well.

Maybe that's the key thing here—Likely they are not going to "shut down the phones next year." They didn't indicate that in anything I've read. The only definite thing is that they're going to stop providing new accounts/lines of service in Nov. '24.

I agree. Not only does Tracfone have millions of users who would get confused and bail if somehow their brand no longer existed, but think of the money they've invested in advertising. PagePlus on the other hand has a fraction of the customers and I have never seen an advertisement anywhere, online or elsewhere, for PagePlus. If they pull the plug the losses would be minimal, especially if they migrate those customers to Tracfone.

Haha. In theory PagePlus hasn't been relevant for a very long time. The reason is right in the name "Page" Plus. A remnant of the old pager days. Yet, they've still maintained a loyal client base and as long as it's still profitable and everyone is happy, why rock the boat? Verizon is trying to shore up their brand though, hence the other brands (Tracfone, etc.) being hoovered up. It's so unfortunate, but I can't see PagePlus being able to buck the trend.

--Kidd

it would be nice if they didn't force the paygo people to keep renewing and adding more money if they know they're going to shut down the phones next year. Doesn't make it easy to burn down a balance when I have to keep adding to it in order to keep my service active.

I'm hopeful just like the 2G 3G shut down got extended shutting down Page Plus will as well.

One of the reasons there aren't perpetual PAYGO plans is the phone number allocation -- it's called a DID. These cost the phone provider every month to be active. Even if you never use a minute and the whole thing is just a billing record in a digital system, they still have a monthly cost they have to pay to keep the number alive. From their perspective if you want to keep your line active they want a small amount of regular income to absorb DID costs at least...

--Kidd

Yes, Truphone was the bomb for that, near zero cost for a glovebox phone, for years.

PAYGO does not even mean that anymore, because that meaning simply does not exist.

$2-4 per month just for the privilege of having an active line is a good way to break down the value of the plans designed for low usage.

After that, the price per GB is critical, with flexibility being a huge factor and TF's rollover being a unique selling proposition, makes even $10/GB palatable.

I value minutes/texts at zero in this context, simply irrelevant to me compared to the abive two buckets.

One of the reasons there aren't perpetual PAYGO plans is the phone number allocation -- it's called a DID. These cost the phone provider every month to be active. Even if you never use a minute and the whole thing is just a billing record in a digital system, they still have a monthly cost they have to pay to keep the number alive. From their perspective if you want to keep your line active they want a small amount of regular income to absorb DID costs at least...

Yes, considering PP paygo from Verizon's perspective, I pay them $10 every 120 days - ~$30 a year. Assuming they make 10% profit on sales, that is $3 profit a year from my account. I like the price and service being available to me, but I can't see where that makes any business sense to Verizon. I won't be crying unfair if they cancel the plan.

Does anyone remember the supposed reason TracFone acquired PPC back in 2013? Something to do with them already having access to VZW's 4G network or something like that, which allowed TF to more quickly get a competetive edge. Can someone elaborate?

The publicly stated justifications are always BS, reducing competition through takeovers the real reason.

PP was part of the whole Tracfone / América Móvil empire

The corporate co-opted FCC ignoring the public interest was happy to allow further predatory monopolistic consolidation

because the average voter has no clue and/or doesn't care.

'The government you elect is the government you deserve.'
— Thomas Jefferson

Of course purposefully poor education and decades of well-funded propaganda / PR / brainwashing by the oligarchs doesn't help

Does anyone remember the supposed reason TracFone acquired PPC back in 2013? Something to do with them already having access to VZW's 4G network or something like that, which allowed TF to more quickly get a competetive edge. Can someone elaborate?

Yes, that was at least one of the reasons, according to a quasi-insider that you and I used to hang out with. And it did make sense, since at the time, PPC was the only Vzw MVNO that had working Vzw 4G LTE. PPC was truly an innovator way back then!

Thanks for the reply, Boz1.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that, but it's been a long time since the topic was approached. The changes just keep on coming!

Yes, considering PP paygo from Verizon's perspective, I pay them $10 every 120 days - ~$30 a year. Assuming they make 10% profit on sales, that is $3 profit a year from my account. I like the price and service being available to me, but I can't see where that makes any business sense to Verizon. I won't be crying unfair if they cancel the plan.

As said in the quote, we understand that and we feel that. Problem next year is, 120 day plan-period at such a low price is not going to be found anywhere. The only two options for later I can imagine are US Mobile with one of their lower priced custom plans; or Tello Mobile with one of their lower priced custom plans. Customer will need to pay monthly. No other kind of paying periods.

The very few on PPC will miss having PPC's service. Finding and using PPC had saved some people much trouble and helped them save a great amount of money.

Best replacement for Page Plus next year

H2O Wireless seems the best replacement for Page Plus when the time comes. My longtime PP dealer recommends it but points out that they use AT&T towers, not Verizon's. It's not their monthly plans that users like ourselves are interested in - though they are inexpensive for what they are. I also don't think much of their "PayGo" deals, which differ from PP in each of several ways: Expirations are 90 days, not 120; data is charged at 10 cent/MB, not 5 cents, and there are no PINS used: You refill online by paying with debit/credit card, or refill at stores, which they claim includes many major chains). No... their best deals are actually what they call "Annual plans" or "12-month plans". With these, you pay once and need not pay again for 360 days (unless your balance runs out, at which point you have 30 days grace to refill before losing your phone number, which has always been PP's policy as well.)

The very cheapest of these annual plans is not worthwhile because the $5/month ($60/year) gets just unlimited talk/text and NO data or MMS unless you buy a relatively expensive "add-on" to get that. But the next level up seems perfect: $8.33/month ($100/year) gets you unlimited talk/text AND 1 GB of 4G/5G data each month, after which data is throttled to 256MB rate (and unlimited) for the rest of the month. If you expect to need more, choose a higher tier annual plan, for example, $12.50.month (i.e., $150 year) which gives you 3GB each month instead of 1GB. No word about whether any data that goes unused from your allotted Gigabyte(s) will carry over to the next month. But you are always free to buy an add-on to raise your data if you underestimated your needs when you initially selected your annual plan.

--Kidd
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation

I just wish to know what "DID" stands for . What? D_word I_word D_word; what is each word in the, what looks like, acronym?

It's an acronym. Direct Inbound Dial. That means a number that can be directly dialed dedicated to you.

Remember when business numbers were frequently [number] extension xxxx? Those were not DID.

This is only tangentially related to why mobile service providers don't have plans any more where you pay in advance and use the balance any time later, including much later.

I just wish to know what "DID" stands for . What? D_word I_word D_word; what is each word in the, what looks like, acronym?
Direct Inward Dialing.

Source: I’m an old Bell System guy.

Back