Visible hotspot speeds

Ad Above Message List

timskrastins

HoFo Member
Carrier(s)
Verizon
I'm on the 15 day trial of Visible to see how well it works for me. I like the idea of unlimited hotspot but the 5gb/5gb speed limit might be a problem and I wanted to test that.
To my surprise, I've been getting much faster speedtest results - as fast as 50/50 and more.

I also tried uploading a few dozen GB of data to make sure I would be in an >50gb of usage deprioritized situation just to see how it would act without premium data.

Are these higher tethering speeds unusual? I.e. am I in a 'honeymoon' period with the trial but should only expect 5/5 in the future?

I get full speed on some lines, 5Mbps on others.

Have not figured out the determining factor

Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I get full speed on some lines, 5Mbps on others.

Have not figured out the determining factor

The determining factor is whether or not the device you're using broadcasts a 64 or 65 TTL (time to live). Typically using hotspot adds an extra hop, which makes it obvious that you're using hotspot, but for some reason some devices neglect to account this with hotspot and make it look like to the network that you're using data on your phone despite hotspot being activated thereby giving you full throughput.

The determining factor is whether or not the device you're using broadcasts a 64 or 65 TTL (time to live). Typically using hotspot adds an extra hop, which makes it obvious that you're using hotspot, but for some reason some devices neglect to account this with hotspot and make it look like to the network that you're using data on your phone despite hotspot being activated thereby giving you full throughput.

Interesting. In my case, it's an iPhone 12 pro max.

Interesting. In my case, it's an iPhone 12 pro max.

iPhones have a default TTL of 64. In theory your speeds on Visible should be capped at 5mbps up/down. Could be a glitch. Could be a million things. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but also be prepared for the possibility of speeds going back to how they're supposed to be.

There are mobile routers out there like the MoFi 4500 that let you spoof the TTL to get max speeds on Visible and use it for home Internet if that's the kind of connection you're needing.

If a person has a device that's capable of specifying TTL, is one better than the other, 64 vs 65? Thanks.

As per forum rules, only premium members are allowed affiliate links. Please become a premium member or change your signature.

Interesting indeed. My pixell 6a from google also bypassed the 5Mbps "limit."

Through trial and error, I've also found that using VPN or not can impact if I get full speeds or not (IE: if I turn VPN on, it sometimes bypasses the 5mbps limit). I presume this is because the VPN is somehow broadcasting it's own TTL.

If you can manually set/spoof your TTL you can use other numbers Up to I think 120? Each one represents a different kind of device/connection. I saw a list once (didn't save it though). So if one number doesn't help, try another.

BUT...

Spoofing or changing the TTL technically breaks Visible's TOS, so it's highly recommended you use a VPN as well if you do anything like that.

How you manage this?Same phone.
I might be wrong. I don't know if it is possible, but when I turned on HOTSPOT it seemed to still be connected to wifi so I may not have been using VISIBLE data as I thought. So I may have misspoke.

I've never heard of a phone sending out data on WiFi Hotspot with its source being a different WiFi AP.

There are travel routers designed to do that.

Every phone I've hotspotted with, you turn on cell data, WiFi turned off, then turn Hotspot On.

And several of my various phones do bypass Visible' one-user hotspot limit, and/or the 5Mbps limit, without having to do anything special, seems a bit random in fact.

Yoo bad the depri makes the service unusably slow just too often

But works great for non-time-sensitive DLing, 600-800 GB/mo on average

"...And several of my various phones do bypass Visible' one-user hotspot limit..." There is no longer a 1 device limit. But the 5Mbps will be split between devices.

I've never heard of a phone sending out data on WiFi Hotspot with its source being a different WiFi AP.

There are travel routers designed to do that.

Every phone I've hotspotted with, you turn on cell data, WiFi turned off, then turn Hotspot On.

And several of my various phones do bypass Visible' one-user hotspot limit, and/or the 5Mbps limit, without having to do anything special, seems a bit random in fact.

Yoo bad the depri makes the service unusably slow just too often

But works great for non-time-sensitive DLing, 600-800 GB/mo on average
Me either. But the day I saw higher than 5mbps speeds, VISUALLY my wifi was connected And hotspot was on. Once when I was getting high speeds makes me question if one or the other was working.

You absolutely can do this with most phones. Multiple times when I have wanted to test hotspot speeds I forgot to turn off wifi before turning on hotspot and ended up sharing my CenturyLink connection with my computer instead. My Pixel and my OnePlus phones all do it.

You absolutely can do this with most phones. Multiple times when I have wanted to test hotspot speeds I forgot to turn off wifi before turning on hotspot and ended up sharing my CenturyLink connection with my computer instead. My Pixel and my OnePlus phones all do it.
With Visible Wireless and how?

With Visible Wireless and how?
This isn't a Visible or any other carrier feature. It's the phone broadcasting its own wifi hotspot using the wifi network it's currently connected to.

Here you can see I have wifi turned on and hotspot enabled.

Screenshot_2024-06-19-13-27-04-85_41a74ddf68be21faad2fbbb691b15143.jpg

Here is my computer connected to my phone's hotspot and you can see that it's connected to CenturyLink, my home fiber connection.

1718825369965.png

For being a repeating connection it doesn't perform too poorly.

1718825454092.png

Here is the native ethernet in my machine on the same connection.

1718825543700.png

(we pay for 200/200)

Now I don't really know what the practical use of being able to turn a wifi connection into a wifi hotspot is... but it does seem to be a default option on many devices I've had where I wanted to test the hotspot and forgot to jump off my own wifi first and ended up just making my phone broadcast my wifi.

This isn't a Visible or any other carrier feature. It's the phone broadcasting its own wifi hotspot using the wifi network it's currently connected to.

Here you can see I have wifi turned on and hotspot enabled.

View attachment 175452

Here is my computer connected to my phone's hotspot and you can see that it's connected to CenturyLink, my home fiber connection.

View attachment 175453

For being a repeating connection it doesn't perform too poorly.

View attachment 175454

Here is the native ethernet in my machine on the same connection.

View attachment 175455

(we pay for 200/200)

Now I don't really know what the practical use of being able to turn a wifi connection into a wifi hotspot is... but it does seem to be a default option on many devices I've had where I wanted to test the hotspot and forgot to jump off my own wifi first and ended up just making my phone broadcast my wifi.
I understand what you're saying but I was asking just how to bypass the 5mbps download speed limit if someone is using Visible Wireless with a rooted Android device.

Back