Why is WAP important?

Griffoun

New member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
1,029
I think it's more powerful when used with a SmartPhone and installed application like this...

http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...sectionId=0&catalog=110&txtSearch=TrafficEdge

... or at least I don't see any very useful WAP sites yet.

Do you mind sharing what you do with it? At this moment I feel the WAP is like the internet 10 years ago - plain text-based HTML, although connection speed now is much faster than it used to be, but limited by the small screen, insufficient memory and limited keys on a phone. It's going to take a while to evolve.

On the other hand, if it costs 5 or 6 bucks a month to use WAP (rumor VM WAP rate), I don't know if it's worth it - think about it, how much time do you spend surfing the internet on your computer compared to using WAP on your phone? We're not talking about those corporate guys that need to use WAP (or simply data) for business purposes...

Just my thought.
 
Ever use Google? Would you like to be able to "google" something from anywhere with a cellphone? They have a WAP site at www.google.com/wml. So you can look up all kinds of info using your cellphone with this.

HOWEVER, Google also has a SMS service that provides a more limited googling via text messages. But, of course, Virgin blocks it, so you can't use that either.

Yahoo also provides mobile web services, including IM at wap.yahoo.com. Of course, if we could get Yahoo alerts on VM, we wouldn't need this as much.

If you want to look at some WAP sites in your web browser, http://www.gelon.net/ provides a Wapalizer that lets you view WAP sites on a PC using a simulated cellphone display. Its a good way to test drive the WAP experience using various phone screens.

Oh yeah, and there's also an interesting site at wap.howardforums.com. :)
 
I tried google on WAP (using my Dell Axim X30) but the pages it links are not optimized for WAP. In other words, the google page is WAP, but what's good of a search engine when result cannot be viewed?

I also used WAP to view HoFo but it's just a pain to see it. Fortunately the Axim doesn't have any problem loading the standard page, and I ended up not using the WAP version.

On another note, Yahoo and MSN's mobile portal are ok, but some links from MSN requires subscription, and Yahoo's just uesless other than checking email...
 
WAP is useful for checking email, news, weather, getting driving directions, and other light-duty tasks.

Since I cannot sync my calendar with my phone, I sync my calendar with Yahoo! Calendar. Using WAP I can review my calendar from my phone.

Also, sending email via WAP is no additional charge, sending a text message costs $0.10.

Is WAP a necessity? No. But it certainly is handy to have.
 
sracer said:
Is WAP a necessity? No. But it certainly is handy to have.
Kinda like having a camera on the phone: not a necessity, but nice to have. ;)
 
WAP isn't a replacement for a smartphone or a fullblown computer, it's really just a convenient way to get a small amount of useful data when a regular computer isn't immediately available. I would be willing to pay a few bucks a month to VM for WAP access. I have WAP on my Boost Mobile phone and have found it is useful for checking email remotely (you can quickly get a general impression of what the email is about without reading the whole thing on a tiny screen), logging into WAP sites (like HoFo!), and getting news summaries, etc. Would like it on Virgin Mobile because Sprint does have service in some areas where Boost Mobile currently does not(e.g. USVI) and also my VM cameraphone has a color display and other features my Boost i205 does not. Would also be nice to use it to check a credit card balance and pay the balance through EFT(obviously with an encrypted browser), check airline flights, etc. when on vacation or a business trip and don't want to bring a laptop for various reasons.
 
WAP is an awesome way to IM with people, check your email, check for directions, and use Verizon's People Pages to find people's phone numbers and addresses.
 
But all the apps that GadgetKen mentioned already available? It might be, I guess, but not in a large scale yet... I'd rather go with Boost's model - 20 cents a day (nice to have, in case I need to use it), because I'm so darn sure that I won't be using it everyday. $6 a month is simply too much... just don't see alot of killer apps out there yet.
 
hwyung said:
But all the apps that GadgetKen mentioned already available? It might be, I guess, but not in a large scale yet... I'd rather go with Boost's model - 20 cents a day (nice to have, in case I need to use it), because I'm so darn sure that I won't be using it everyday. $6 a month is simply too much... just don't see alot of killer apps out there yet.

20 cents a day IS the same as $6/month because Boost charges you for WAP whether you use it or not, unlike walkie-talkie which is charged only for days you use it.:haveadrin
 
^LOL yeah. And also, Boost's WAP is still a limited WAP, you can't go anywhere you want without downloading that app for your phone that sracer has.
 
Saw11_2000 said:
^LOL yeah. And also, Boost's WAP is still a limited WAP, you can't go anywhere you want without downloading that app for your phone that sracer has.
What application?

I have iDEN Phonebook manager (Free desktop software) for managing and syncing phone contacts.

I have WebJal (free desktop software) for sending games, wallpaper, and ringtones to the phone.

But I don't have any special software on my i730 to surf the web. Boost's WAP is not limited. At least I've been able to go to all of the sites that I've tried.
 
TheBigCheese said:
20 cents a day IS the same as $6/month because Boost charges you for WAP whether you use it or not, unlike walkie-talkie which is charged only for days you use it.:haveadrin

You mean Boost charges me 20 cents a day even I never use WAP, or it will charge me 20 cents a day since the day I start using WAP for a month? The way it says on the Boost's website sounds to me it only charges me the day I use it...
 
hwyung said:
I'd rather go with Boost's model - 20 cents a day (nice to have, in case I need to use it), because I'm so darn sure that I won't be using it everyday. $6 a month is simply too much... just don't see alot of killer apps out there yet.
I couldn't agree more. A nominal per-usage fee would be much better than a monthly fee. I can't see using it more than a few times a week.

I think over time, as better WAP apps appear, the usage potential could get as high as several times a day. But its not there yet.

I see a large potential in the included GPS functionality of the Flasher (and other phones with GPS). The phone can identify its location fairly accurately. If this info could be used to localize WAP services, there's a lot you could do. Location and distance to nearest gas station, grocery, beer, whatever. Driving directions from here to address. A "where am I" function for someone lost on the road.
 
sracer said:
Boost's WAP is not limited. At least I've been able to go to all of the sites that I've tried.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've been wondering the same thing if Boost WAP is wide open or just a much better & more useful version of VirginXL. Does Boost also have their own WAP presence?
 
David_OSU said:
I couldn't agree more. A nominal per-usage fee would be much better than a monthly fee. I can't see using it more than a few times a week.

I think over time, as better WAP apps appear, the usage potential could get as high as several times a day. But its not there yet.

I see a large potential in the included GPS functionality of the Flasher (and other phones with GPS). The phone can identify its location fairly accurately. If this info could be used to localize WAP services, there's a lot you could do. Location and distance to nearest gas station, grocery, beer, whatever. Driving directions from here to address. A "where am I" function for someone lost on the road.

Ditto! GPS + WAP is pretty powerful! :cool:
 
hwyung said:
You mean Boost charges me 20 cents a day even I never use WAP, or it will charge me 20 cents a day since the day I start using WAP for a month? The way it says on the Boost's website sounds to me it only charges me the day I use it...
I agree. The wording on Boost's wireless web is unclear.

Boost WAP is unlimited and is a service that is either activated or not. If you activate it for your account, you have full, unlimited use of it. You get charged $0.20 a day regardless of whether you use it or not.
 
David_OSU said:
Thanks for clearing that up. I've been wondering the same thing if Boost WAP is wide open or just a much better & more useful version of VirginXL. Does Boost also have their own WAP presence?

Boost provides something called "BoostMobileWeb". That is a service that is available to all Boost customers (you don't need to have WAP activated). BoostMobileWeb is analogous to VirginXL.

To sum it up, BoostMobileWeb a free more useful version of VirginXL. Boost WAP is an additional service ($0.20 a day, every day) that provides unlimited WAP web browsing.

Boost's website does a terrible disservice to their service. Rather than focus on trying to be urban, hip, and cool, they need to focus on providing information in a clear and concise manner.
 
Last edited:
sracer said:
I agree. The wording on Boost's wireless web is unclear.

Boost WAP is unlimited and is a service that is either activated or not. If you activate it for your account, you have full, unlimited use of it. You get charged $0.20 a day regardless of whether you use it or not.

Thanks for clarifying...

Ouch... that kinda hurts...:(
 
Back
Top