Your Morning Briefing: Notable News and Daily Threads Inside

Ad Above Message List
Ad in Threadview Above Message Content
I loved my slide-out LG Env3. I had it in 6th grade back in 2011.. Nowadays, it's hard for any phone to catch my interest! View attachment 175224
Sorry to be like "comic book guy", but technically the LG EnV3 was a flip-open design... which was even rarer than the more common slide-out QWERTY (such as the LG Rumor family).

If you view publicity photo number 3 at the PhoneScoop website's online profile you may see what I mean...

Also am a fan of that phone... I remember it had a charming "moving wallpaper" called "Transit" which was an exclusive to the LG EnV family. If I remember correctly, it featured a montage of a bicyclist morphing into a car into a train into an airplane. Also I recall that some devices had issues with its novel battery arrangement, where the battery was designed to mount flush into a depression on the external housing (instead of a compartment with a door). Any HoFo's who are familiar, feel free to add your corrections...

Other models of the flip-open design brigade included:
LG enV Touch
Samsung Comeback
Samsung Alias2/Zeal (which actually had a combination hinge that allowed 2-axis folding)

That "Experimental Phones" video featured above reminded me that there was so much more diversity of phone form factors in the era before the rise of the touchscreen slab...

Sorry to be like "comic book guy", but technically the LG EnV3 was a flip-open design... which was even rarer than the more common slide-out QWERTY (such as the LG Rumor family).

If you view publicity photo number 3 at the PhoneScoop website's online profile you may see what I mean...

Also am a fan of that phone... I remember it had a charming "moving wallpaper" called "Transit" which was an exclusive to the LG EnV family. If I remember correctly, it featured a montage of a bicyclist morphing into a car into a train into an airplane. Also I recall that some devices had issues with its novel battery arrangement, where the battery was designed to mount flush into a depression on the external housing (instead of a compartment with a door). Any HoFo's who are familiar, feel free to add your corrections...

Other models of the flip-open design brigade included:
LG enV Touch
Samsung Comeback
Samsung Alias2/Zeal (which actually had a combination hinge that allowed 2-axis folding)

That "Experimental Phones" video featured above reminded me that there was so much more diversity of phone form factors in the era before the rise of the touchscreen slab...
Oh yeah.. just got it mixed up. Currently, I'm working on getting games and apps on it because it obviously it runs binary runtime environment for wireless.. you know anything about that?

Oh yeah.. just got it mixed up. Currently, I'm working on getting games and apps on it because it obviously it runs binary runtime environment for wireless.. you know anything about that?
According to PhoneScoop, the LG EnV3 uses the BREW software platform. However, it's also worth noting that VZW is deservedly notorious for gimping their branded devices so that their customers are locked-out from modding the OS (usually proprietary).

Even if you had access to one of those developer kits, I foresee a problem with connectivity... This phone relies upon 850/1900 CDMA EVDO frequencies... which have already been sunsetted, I believe. And my recollection is that there's no WiFi connectivity available either.

That being said, my admiration for the LG EnV3 derives from its purpose-built mission to be a messaging & MP3 beast. At the time, it checked off most of the boxes: QWERTY keyboard, microSD slot, stereo speakers, 2.5mm (boo) headphone jack... and no requirement for VZW's $30/mo smart devices add-on fee!

In 2024, my guess is that the best use cases for an LG EnV3 are:
  • Alarm clock
  • Portable MP3 player
  • Emergency snapshot camera
  • Quick note-taking (if its file system can manage plain TXT files)
YMMV!

Last edited:
Back